Sunday 8 September 2013

My NOTDs of the week

Since a couple of months I am following Melissa from Lacquer Reverie. Not only does she have an amazing collection of beautiful polishes but her writing style is funny, witty and VERY entertaining!!! Last week she was having a post showing us China Glaze ...... describing how it matched her black, red and white dress. I said to Nell: Heck, what do you think? Shouldn't I try to at least go for a week with matching nails/dresses? This combined with my aim to not only present 6 polishes a week but also wear as many as possible as NOTD to work on that heap of untrieds makes this post somewhat lengthy (just a warning :-S)

OK so I was relieved of any corporate oriented office activities this week and I felt like a bottle of champagne getting rid of the cork - it popped off and out spluttered all the idea-bubbles. I even managed two Skittelettes!!! So enough of all the talk - just pics now please:


Ingredients (from left)
Picture Polish Tiffany, Shimmer Polish Sonja, Opi Buff is my Vampire


Recipe:
Pinkie: two coats of Picture Polish Tiffany
Ring and index: three coats of Shimmer Polish Sonja
Middle and thumb: three coats of Opi Buff Is My Vampire

...and this is the dress I wore it with


I haven't picked-up many from the Opi San Francisco Collection - most of them while very beautiful - appear quite basic to me and hands down - I do own enough of them. But I haven't the Foggiest just had to come along home:



I applied two buttery fantastically easy coats of I haven't the Foggiest over Essence XXL Nail Thickener and finished with Essence Better Than Gel Nails Top Sealer. Bummer - I forgot to take a picture of my nails with my dress but that one was a no brainer - it went with a black shift dress.

Summer came back full blast once more this week and I was so happy that once more I could wear some of my favorite summer dresses. I love a good pattern any day - however, if I have a patterned dress I like to keep my nails simple. I love a good contrast any day but I don't like busy dress and busy nails together. Lovely Nati from the Polished Polygot sent me wonderful, wonderful stuff she bought for me during her vacation. I tell ya, I am still floored that she thought of me during her vacation - Nati I am still so touched by this - thank you again "mille fois"!!! And look at this Debby polish - isn't it awesome?


I applied two effortless coats of Debby Sand 03 over Essence XXL Nail Thickener. Now this is a new to me brand so let's just quickly summarize the characteristics: Formula is thin but great to work with, brush is on the slim side and on the soft side - perfect for this formula, the polish exactly goes where you want it to, dry time on the fast side for a textured polish - in short a win in every aspect. And I got so many compliments for that shade!!!! .... and this is the dress I wore it with:


Time for my next Skittelette:


Ingredients (as always from left):
Cult Nails Mayhem, Cult Nails Tempest, Bourjois Green Fizz, Bourjois Bleu Fabuleux


I applied two coats of Cult Nail Tempest over my pinkie, index and thumb. I love white nails on pictures but IRL looking at them I just cannot seem to get used to. Cult Nails Mayhem - the clear holo topper released in their Road Trip Collection was the perfect choice to sort of diminish the tooth paste effect mind you - there wasn't much holo to be seen against the blending white but for me it was just perfect. I applied three thin coats of Bourjois Green Fizz on my ring and two coats of Bourjois Bleu Fabuleux on my middle finger. This Skittelette went with another favorite dress of mine:



Friday was probably one of the last warm summer days here - as I type this the sky is overcast and showers of rain sweep over our village - so a holo was in place. I will review this polish at length in a separate post so I will sort of show you a sneak peak:


You look at three coats of Colors by Llarowe Little Red Corvette - two coats provide enough opacity but I wanted the base color to be more of a saturated red to go with this dress:


You still with me? I am impressed - if you made it to the end of this post - THANK YOU for your patience!!! It was great fun to master the challenge of matching nails and dresses but I have to admit, it did cause me some brain racking the one or the other day. Melissa, you definitely got me thrilled with this game and I will repeat the challenge soon :-).

I look forward to reading your comments - if you are still up to it after this monster post - thanks for bearing with me ;-)
Christine





15 comments:

  1. I love to match my mani with my clothes, too. Actually, I polish my nails first and then choose matching clothes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) - this is what I do usually as well - last week I reversed - was quite harder I found, because if I am lost at finding matching colors I just heas straight for a LBD ;-)!!! So having a dress FIRST and the mani after proofed to be a challenge :-P

      Delete
  2. Haha, I loooooved the idea of matching the nails with the dresses! :D Some how that's pretty cool thinking about, most bloggers show the most amazing colors and nail art, but we (almost) never know how they match it with the clothes or jeweleries. Me for example uses a lot of rings but I mostly never show it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Gelic, thank you so much. I would love to see those rings!!!!! I never wear rings - somehow I feel as if they would weight down my fingers - weird, eh? anyhow I agree and this is why I thought I throw in some dress/mani photos <3

      Delete
  3. What an awesome post! I truly enjoyed it:) I so need OPI I Haven't the Foggiest. I love that one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYYYYYYY so happy you like it!!!!! Oh you would do a gazillion awesome stuff with that Opi - I am sure you would come up with those trademark Skittelettes of yours :-D Thank you and *hugs*

      Delete
  4. Great manis! That first skittles mani is so cute with your lavender dress. And Haven't the Foggiest looks great on you! :)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Yun - that first dress is my favorite - it is cut a bit like those famous Jackie O dresses!!! And I am so glad I followed your post and got myself Haven't the Foggiest - a true win in my collection - thank you xxx

      Delete
    2. Oooh that dress sounds so classy! :) And I'm glad I could help persuade you with Haven't the Foggiest. <3

      Delete
    3. There are posts that just seem to be firmly plastered in my memory and that one is one of them - it is stunning - well all of yours are but that one really sticks <3

      Delete
  5. I looove this post! I have enjoyed so much to read it. I love how you paired manicures and outfits, you have some lovely dresses there.
    I'm glad you liked the polish, I was so worried it would have broken on the mail. I received a nail polish bottle from the Netherlands and it was... well it was no longer a bottle :P
    You carry the OPI foil so well! and I also think it's a stunner with a black dress!
    I'm not longer used to pairing manis and outfits, except for special occasions, but it's a great idea for a post!
    bisous ma belle, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am soooo happy you like it dear Nati!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually don't pair it either - I just go for a LBD should the colors be too clashing ;-P. I am so sorry I didn't post a picture or was not clear about the polish in my initial e-mail - sooooo sorry!!!!!!! I remember you showing that foil and I originally thought no way I could wear this!!! Then I saw it on Yun and this finally pushed me over the edge so to say!!! Merci mille fois ma biche - you really rock and I just wait to have my nails a TAD longer to let that duochrome play at full blast ;-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Hey Christine...what a great post!! Thanks for the sweet shout-out!! :) I consider it a daily challenge to match my clothing with my nails...there's just something so pulled together about it. I love the first mani with the pink dress! That looks great...and the red looks fantastic too! And thank goodness for all black, right? You can wear anything at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so proud you liked my post!!!! BEEEEAAAAMING!!!! And of course I had to do the shout-out - you are such a great blogger!!! I agree about the pulled together - this is what I felt all of last week and I admittedly let that slip sometimes if I am in one big rush in the morning. Yep, black is my saviour - and was my staple when my wardrobe was minimal - I am very tall - 6 ft and Switzerland did not offer a wide range of clothes that would fit my length so I had to settle with few but versatile pieces and play with accessories like shawls, jewelry or…. NAILPOLISH!!!!

      Delete
    2. You're 6 feet tall??? I'm a short little thing, LOL. :)

      Delete